S.O.S. (Serving Our Savior)
S O S
SERVING OUR SAVIOR
By Patti Goodrum
Executive Director, Love In the Name of Christ
We want to announce a new partnership with the Humane Society of Nacogdoches County. This new alliance will be an addition to our Home Team Visit ministry. Some times when we visit a home, in addition to adults and children in need, we find a pet in need. We are now blessed to offer a new service to our validated and verified clients. We have a limited number of vouchers for clients living in Nacogdoches County to receive:
• Basic Spay/Neuter for 1 Cat or Dog
• 1 Round of Vaccinations
• 1 Rabies Vaccination
• Aid for Veterinary emergencies
We are proud to work with churches, other organizations, and a variety agencies when we find a family in need. The more we can all be the hands and feet of Jesus, the better we can serve. It often takes all of us working together to meet the wide mixture of requests we see, and provide help towards self-sufficiency.
The Humane Society of Nacogdoches County is located at 3211 S W Stallings Drive and is open to the public from 12 – 5:30 Monday through Friday, and on Saturday from 11 – 3. Their main phone number is (936) 569-7272 and for animal emergencies inside Nacogdoches County you can call (936) 559-2607. To report all animal issues or emergencies outside the city limits, call (946) 560-7777. This wonderful agency is all about Helping People Help Animals. You can send them a donation to P.O. Box 631244 Nacogdoches, TX 75963
If you know of someone who may be in need of one of these Human Society vouchers, please have the pet owner contact the Love INC office at (936) 569-8555 for an application and we will make a Home Visit to determine eligibility.
The summer is passing quickly and parents are already asking for help with back to school
supplies and clothes. The FILL THE BUS with school supplies event is August 10th. Hosted by Community Action, we will share more details as they become available.
In honor of our beloved friend Jackie Goodroe, who is residing in heaven now, but was one of the greatest advocates for Love INC’s Back to School Shared Blessings, we are trying something new this year. Beginning July 9th going until August 9th, we will be collecting NEW tennis shoes, sneakers, athletic shoes, and socks for our Back to School Shared Blessings event (scheduled later in August). Our goal is 150 pair of new shoes. We are asking for any Kids, Youth, and Adult sizes. New shoe donations can be dropped off at the Love INC office Monday – Thursday, between the hours of 9 – 4. For more information about this program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
In closing, we want to thank donors for the recent fans and window units that we recently received. We are still in need of more, the rest of July and all of August are still to come. Our weather reports is this summer may be as bad as or even worse than the drought in 2011. Thank you for your prayers, support, and donations.
1. Single female needs assistance with rent. The client has both, reached retirement age and is no longer able to work. Due to the change in income, she decided to find a more affordable place to live. The transition and extra expenses of the move put a strain on her budget for this month, but she will be able to pay in the future. She is asking for assistance in the amount of $320. If you can help with this request, please write SOS Rent in the memo of your check.
2. Single mother needs assistance with utilities. The client has been in family counseling and is working very hard to keep her family together. Since counseling she has secured a job and will be able to pay in the future. Love INC plans to provide short term assistance to this family and will continue to partner with them as they work towards self-sufficiency. At this time they are needing assistance in the amount of $130. If you can help with this request, please write SOS Utilities in the memo of your check.
Other validated requests are for new or gently used items:
2. Window Unit A/C’s
3. Large Motorized Wheelchair
4. Lift Recliner
8. Coffee Tables